Monday, August 10, 2009

Foodie Smack-down in Chi-town

Last weekend Beni and I took a total foodie trip to Chicago and visited with some of our fantastic friends. We spent approximately 4 hours combined waiting in line for a hamburger and a hot dog... and it was TOTALLY worth it.
I don't know about you guys, but I am a huge Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives fan, so I was really excited to stand in line at two of the show's featured joints; Kuma's Corner and Hot Doug's.
We also had a taste of some Chicago style THIN crust pizza at Piece along with some of their brewery's Worry'n'ale.
And last but not least, we had very fine slice of beef tenderloin prepared with love by our close personal friends at Casa de Smacks.
Here's the juicy details:

First, we'll talk burgers.
We arrived at Kuma's Corner a little after 7:00pm on a Friday night. Sarah, Beni, and I waiting outside while Jason went in to get us on the list. The clientele we waited with were as diverse as Chicago itself, and our hostess was tatted out with tight jeans and a black tank top that had one of the Kuma slogan's on the back "die emo die". From the sidewalk, I could see the t.v. over the bar playing kung-fu movies and tons of people packed like sardines looking like they were REALLY enjoying their food. I loved it already, and hadn't even been inside yet.
The tiny yet fearsome hostess finally called Jason's name and we floated in the door. We were greeted by heavy metal, black and red, divine smells, and a very friendly waitress.
She got us started with some Pabst Blue Ribbon in a bottle and some not too shabby calamari. I've had better, but the rosemary and what I think was red pepper in the batter was definitely unique and flavorful.
All the burgers on the menu were appropriately named after metal bands. Beni ordered the Bongzilla; I requested Neurosis; and Sarah & Jason modestly opted to split Lair of the Minotaur.
While we waited I admired the atmosphere and artwork; especially the painting over the bar of a cutsie-bear and the word "MEAT" written in dripping blood over it. The ladies bathroom was also covered in pinup girl artwork and big city graffitti. My favorite bit said "My mouth tastes like bad choices."
After a reasonable wait, the burgers arrived.
The Smacks' burger, Lair of the Minotaur, was a 1/2 pound patty topped with caramelized onions, pancetta, brie, and bourbon soaked pears (Sorry, I didn't get a pic. I was too mezmerized by my own plate).
My burger, Neurosis, was a 1/2 pound patty with cheddar (the good stuff), swiss, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and horseraddish mayo... It was DIVINE.

Beni's burger was almost painful to look at, but the champ actually ate THE WHOLE thing.
Bongzilla was a 1/2 pound beef patty topped with 1/4 pound Sheboygan bratwurst, smoked gouda, caramelized onions, Dusseldorf mustard, jalepeno chutney, and bourbon soaked pears.
I didn't get a picture of that one either, sadly. Beni inhaled it before I could get the camera on.
Overall, big thumbs up for Kuma's Corner.
Next up, lunch Saturday at Hot Doug's... Stay tuned for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment