Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Say Ceviche!

I want to start by saying, I LOVE Ceviche. (or cebiche, or seviche... whatever you prefer)
If I'm forced to eat outside of Beni's kitchen, hands down, the best place in town to get ceviche is El Camino Real on South School Ave. They're actually the best Mexican food in town period, but their ceviche happens to be my favorite thing on the menu.
Ceviche is a pretty general term for any citrus marinated seafood. Typically if you use shellfish, like shrimp, you cook the fish, but finfish is used raw. The citric acid in the lime juice (most common citrus used) causes the proteins in the seafood to become denatured; basically it pickles the fish, or "cooks" it without heat.
Peru is typically credited as the birthplace of ceviche, but that fact is disputed among Latin American countries. They all have variations on a "traditional" ceviche.
Beni's ceviche is closest to the Cuban style, using mahi-mahi prepared with lime juice, salt, pepper, onion, bell peppers, cilantro, and habanero peppers. It's fantastic on it's own, over a salad, with chips... Or as shown here, we topped a tostada and garnished with avacado and sour cream.

I know some of you are going to be skeptical of this dish... I was too, at first. "Pickled fish?" But trust me, if you like seafood at all, you will love this as much as I do.
And if you're looking for a good place to get Mexican food in Fayetteville, and you haven't been to El Camino Real yet, go there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment