Friday, February 5, 2010

Bad Bad Babka, Mighty Muffelletta, and Tantalizing Tuna

I'm struggling keep up with my 2010 resolution to stay up to date on Beni's culinary creations. He just make so many of them! It would be a full time job. Here's three memorable meals from the last couple of weeks, and the first is actually one of my own...

A couple of weekends ago, we had Beni's sister Terra and our friend Megan and their kids over for breakfast. The plan was to serve Babka French Toast.
Lesson #1: Never invite people over to eat something that you are making for the first time.
I thought the babka turned out great... Don't these look yummy?

From Guess what Beni made!?
One was made with Ghiradelli dark chocolate, and the other was cinnamon and sugar.
But when I began to slice them for the french toast, I was so disappointed. I told Beni to call our guests and tell them not to come.
From Guess what Beni made!?
They were still raw in the middle.
But of course Beni refused to call and cancel on our guests (15 minutes before they were supposed to arrive), and offered to run to the store and get some Hawaiian bread.
I was so flustered, I failed to get any pics of the final product, but I did manage to make some delicious french toast with my special egg dip, and sandwiched them with some super sweet mascarpone filling I had whipped up. Between the decadent french toast, the fresh fruit, the mimosas, and the company, it turned out to be a very pleasant breakfast, indeed.
And we were even able to enjoy a little bit of the babka (tops) dipped in mascarpone.

Next stop, New Orleans... Not really. It's just our kitchen again, but Beni sure did bring an authentic taste to the table. This Muffelletta is full of shaved ham, shaved bologna, hard salami, provolne cheese, and a homemade olive relish that knocked our socks off.

He served it on ciabatta bread with a side of kettle chips and salad. Full of flavor!


Last week we also had a savory light meal, rare tuna on salad. As is common practice in our house, the tuna was seared to perfection and served rare, but this time served with a seasoning of black pepper.



Hopefully you're inspired to go make something flavorful! I'm inspired to go eat something...

No comments:

Post a Comment