Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kababs and Hummus. MORE Pastrami! And a Sauerkraut update.

I dread the sun going down on Sunday evening... It means Monday morning is very very close. But I'll squeeze out the last couple of hours of this weekend to tell you about a couple of the superbly savory meals Beni made this week. Friday night was Mediterranean inspired. I told Beni I was in the mood for chicken and kabobs, and he took it from there.
I'm not sure what got into Beni, as neither of us had eaten grilled artichokes hearts before, but something told him to include them with this meal, and the combination of artichoke hearts, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and chicken proved to be fated. It was supremely delicious.


Beni also grilled the flatbread, which we dipped in a tangy black bean hummus.Some delicate cous-cous tossed in olive oil, lime, and garlic rounded out the meal.

Pretty healthy compared to Saturday night. The home made pastrami made it's second appearance in the form of hot sandwiches Saturday.This time Beni grilled some onions to go with it, and tossed the sauerkraut in at the last minute.


The melted provolone and some more home made thousand island dressing made it picture perfect. Beni topped his with a pickled carrot, chili pepper, and green olive. On the side we had New York Cheddar Kettle Chips.


The pastrami made its third and final appearance this morning for Sunday breakfast, and I must say, its most exciting appearance yet.


Yep, that's home made pastrami tossed with cabbage, sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Add some whipped eggs, and you've got the most amazing hash of your life. Beni served it over a corn cake, topped by another corn cake, topped with MORE HASH, and finally a cracked olive for garnish. By the way, the corn cake was made with cheddar and provolone cheese... Oh yeah.


Before I go enjoy the last few bits of the weekend with my family, I'll give you an updated on Beni's homemade 'kraut... It's living in a cabinet in our dining room. (Literally, living and breathing) The smell is completely rancid. Eli has already declared that he will not be eating it (but considering his love of all foods bizarre, I'm sure he'll at least taste it once). Every once in a while you can hear the lid of the container rattle when gasses are escaping. Saturday morning, I forgot it was there when I reached down to get the griddle for the french toast, and got a nose-full. It wasn't pretty... My gag reflex kicked in slightly.
I keep reminding myself that Sauerkraut actually has many healthy qualities because of the way it is fermented. I won't get into all the details. You can check out Wikipedia or the macrobiotic websites on your own time, but I do keep reminding myself of that fact so I won't be scared to try it when it's done next weekend.

Goodnight and have a pleasant week, from the Helfs and their fermented cabbage...

No comments:

Post a Comment