Monday, January 11, 2010

The beach, borscht, baked duck eggs... And the bathroom sink?

Today's post is going to catch up on a few notable meals over the last couple of days. Enjoy!

Last summer we went to Dauphin Island, AL with my family for a whole week. It was FANTASTIC and so relaxing. Just what everyone needed. We played and swam all day and chased sand crabs all night, and of course with both Beni and my dad in the house, we ATE like royalty.
One of the days, Beni, my dad, and my sister went out on a charter fishing boat, and came back with quite a haul. They caught a ton of whiting and a little ground mullet, and my sister, the master-angler, caught an eel!
Well some of that fish came out of the deep freeze last Thursday night, and Beni beer battered it up Great-Britain-style and we had Fish'n'chips! It was, of course, superb.
The batter was just perfect. It fried up nice and hard with the perfect crisp, and then just melted in your mouth with every bite. We sprinkled it with vinegar and Beni made some tartar sauce. I'm inclined to say it was the best batter ever. I'd like to deep fry some more stuff in it... Snickers maybe?

Friday night was a bubbling borscht celebration of beets, turnips, and beef.

And Sunday morning was my interpretation of 'Bird's Nests'... Yes, MY interpretation. I made breakfast! My first baked eggs ever. Yes, they were delicious, but no, they were not perfect. I have learned my lesson about forgetting to pour some melted butter over the top to keep the whites from forming too thick of a skin.
I took crescent roll dough and pressed it into a muffin tin, then filled with some diced musrooms, tomatoes, and shredded cheese. Then I topped it off with a duck egg in each "nest". We usually pick them up at the Farmer's Market, and we recently heard about the "Winter Market" that I never knew existed. Please check it out if you get the itch for some Farmer's Market wares this winter. It's best to sign up for the mailing list and order ahead:
Wynn's Winter Market
Here's some pics...
Before:

After:

Inside (a little over-done):

I still have some dishes saved up to write about from while I was on hiatus. I should get those up this week for you all to enjoy.
Meanwhile, since this blog is all about "What Beni made", I'd also like to brag on his carpentry skills. He's almost as good at wood working as he is in the kitchen.
Check out my new bathroom counter! (This bathroom has just recently been rescued from 1974).

No comments:

Post a Comment