Friday, July 17, 2009

Scallywag-Scallops

Why are the scallops always gone?

Tonight's dinner is a tribute to pirates (apparently). Mostly due to the plethora of Sailor Jerry's rum consumed by the adults tonight.
The kids contributed to tonight's buccaneer theme with some excited banter around pirate names at the dinner table.
Our final draft of names is as follows:
Eli is "Earshot" (because he hears everything, and holds you accountable).
Wiley wanted to be Captain Blackbeard, but after we explained that was taken, and he wasn't old enough for Captain yet, he agreed to "Wild-eye".
Papa's handle remains "Captain No-beard", and apparently Mama is now "Treasure Chesticles". "Stinky Hag" was a close second (thanks Wiley) with "Bobo-bee-boo" rounding out third place.

I had no idea what was on the menu tonight, but on my way home from work, I got a text message to pick up some cilantro, so I knew it had to be good. I picked up the cilantro (not flat leaf parsley as Beni tried to trick me into believing I had done) as well as some other staples, and as I put the milk in the fridge I got a peek at what was to come.


Scallops seasoned with chopped home-made chipotle peppers and other spices. Sliced corn tortilla strips to be fried up and seasoned, and what was essentially the makings of a fine Ceviche, but without the fish (onions, tomatoes, cucumber, spicy peppers, lots of lime, and some additional spices). Ceviche being one of my all-time favorite dishes, I knew this combination was going to be fantastic.



The final dish was plated as follows:
A bed of endive and butter-leaf salad with wings of Avacado slices; topped with the snappy salsa marinade; then crowned with the superbly crispy tortilla strips.
These ingredients laid the foundation for 4 flawlessly grilled scallops coated in the home-made chipotle marinade, and the entire dish was sprinkled with fresh cilantro (which made the meal, so big thanks to me for picking up the correct spice at the store).
Sailor Jerry would agree this was a meal fit for a pirate-king, and lucky me, it was prepared by a pirate-king that loves his family as much as his food.


Thanks for reading about what Beni cooked! I hope it inspires you to explore the infinite flavors of whole foods available to you and your family.
Taste the love!

(I'm really not that cutesy... It must be the rum talking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment